What is beautiful?: This morning I was thinking about my project’s name: ‘Back To Beautiful You’ and I got to wondering what does being beautiful mean to everyone; what is beautiful?
In today’s world beautiful is often defined as a physical attribute. It seems like our perception of beauty is filtered through the lens of social media posts.Those oh so perfect lives! While knowing that most folks only post the very best version of themselves online. You can still get that unsettling feeling that if your face or body happens to less than perfect then you’re somehow not quite hitting the mark.
With this in mind, I decided to search the actual dictionary definition of beautiful.
Beautiful is so much more than our physical being and what our eyes can see. Going by the definition there are another 4 senses to be considered in the what is beautiful mix.
Beautiful is not about what other people think of you. How you might look to the outside world. It is solely about you. It’s relative to your state of mind. How you perceive things and how who or what you connect with. You become beautiful through all of these things not just the image in the mirror.
My kind of beautiful
- A walk on a windswept beach
- Uncontrollable laughter over something silly.
- A piece of music that resonates within me and takes me away to another moment, a memory.
- Looking out on a gorgeous landscape and feeling my heart swell
- A big bear hug from my husband on a low day, ok on any day
- Conversations with my kids
- The sun on my face
- A bunch of my favourite flowers.
- Taking a big breath of fresh air and feeling alive.
- Reading a line from a book or a quote that switches my perspective.
- The way being in nature makes me feel.
- My connections with the people I love
- On holiday sat around the pool in the golden hour as the sun begins to set.
- Nothing can ever truly define beautiful because true beauty is made up of our experiences, our strengths and our unique life moments.
In what ways are you beautiful?
To learn more about the author here